RE not only makes a significant contribution to childrens’ SMSC (Spiritual, Moral, Social, Cultural) development but, using an enquiry-based approach, can enhance their critical thinking and evaluative skills enormously. RE must offer substantial opportunities for children and young people to explore life’s big questions.
“Children have the right to think and believe what they want, and to practise their religion” (UN Convention on the Rights of the Child; Article 14, 1991)
What can we do to support you?
- Audit and review the school’s existing practice, consult with all stakeholders and suggest improvements to ensure best practice in line with national guidance, legal aspects and the school’s ethos and value system.
- Support and advise schools prepare for and achieve the RE Quality Mark.
- Work alongside subject leaders and staff to ensure high quality Schemes of Work are in place.
- Offer training and ongoing support, mentoring and coaching to ensure all those delivering the subject feel confident, knowledgeable and highly skilled.
- Guide schools through the process of renewing Religious Education policy, from discussing with Governors and staff, to leading parent/carer sessions.
- Co-production: organise and deliver collaborative work across school clusters
SACREs (Standing Advisory Councils for Religious Education)
Andy is an experienced RE teacher, AST, A Level examiner and consultant, who has been highly praised by Ofsted. He has successfully turned around failing departments in schools. In his last school, a mixed ability comprehensive, his students received marks which placed them in the top 5 of the country at GCSE and top 10 at A Level. His students consistently achieved the highest value added results in the school and county. He has advised SACREs and has led the re-writing of numerous Agreed Syllabi. He has planned and run RE conferences across the region and numerous training programmes for local authorities and schools. Andy is also experienced in working with partners and stakeholders from a diverse range of religious and philosophical backgrounds.